Spicy Eggplant Parmigiana with Quinoa (hold the hot peppers if desired)
Total time: 45 minutes
3 tbsp canola oil (split)
1 cup uncooked quinoa (or 2 cups leftover, cooked quinoa)
2 cups of water with salt
2 large eggplants
1 cup cauliflower
1 cup spinach
2 large tomatoes, sliced thinly
1 large handful of basil leaves (1/2 cup)
1 small handful of oregano leaves (3 tbsp)
(You can use 2 tbsp Italian herb seasoning in replace of fresh herbs as well.)
1 small jalapeno pepper (optional)
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup chevre* Use VEGAN cheeses as an option
2 cups of tomato sauce (I used Salvatore's). You can also ROAST and STEW tomatoes with salt, pepper and Italian herbs for a homemade tomato sauce.
2 tsp salt
1. Cook quinoa on stove. Boil water, reduce to a simmer and cover for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, slice eggplants thinly and pan-fry eggplant slices for about 2 minutes on each side (done in a few batches) and sprinkle each slice with salt.
3. Chop jalapeno and break apart cauliflower, spinach and basil/oregano leaves.
4. Once quinoa is finished, turn off heat.
5. Preheat oven to 400F.
6. Assemble parmigiana as follows:
Eggplant, sliced tomatoes, cauliflower, jalapenos, cheese, quinoa, tomato sauce, spinach, herbs, seasonings. Repeat and top with remaining cheese and sauce.
7. Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing into 4-6 servings.
Eat Well, Halifax!